Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The things you will suffer through for your kids

As a teenager I lived with my brother for a period of time. My nephew, Chris, then two at the time LOVED Barney. To say love was an understatement. We watched that stinkin "Barney Live In Concert Video" so much I can still remember all the lyrics to "Sally the Camel". I swore as a parent I would never subject myself to that again.

I was wrong.

Unfortunately by the time I had Myah something more annoying than Barney came along. Teletubbies. This had to be the most mind numbing show that I had ever seen, but for some reason the child LOVED it. The problem is that once I saw her giggle, coo and laugh at the show and saw how much it pleased her, I was sucked in.

Fortunately we got through the days of Dora, Barney, Teletubbies and the Wiggles and our kids graduated onto Toy Story and Shrek, things that I could live with.

My brother gave me the unfortunate news that they were "back into Barney" when I came to town because of my new niece Charity. Sitting there once again watching Barney made me want to gouge my eyes out and plug my ears. Nothing is worse than a purple dinosuar. Actually let me re-phrase that. Nothing is worse than a purple dinosaur in a goofy little hat, well Baby Bop comes in a close second.

Anyhow, today I'm flipping through channels and I notice Teletubbies are on. Don't ask me what possessed me to stop, but I did. Evie lit up. She kicked, squealed, smiled and giggled. It was the cutest thing ever. So I guess we are back in the days of Teletubbies once again.

I think Dr. Cox on "Scrubs" said it best...


Dr. Cox: Newbie, the point is, when that kid comes, you...you'll start seeing the world a whole lot differently.

Turk: You'll develop patience.

Dr. Cox: You're going to forgive easier.

Turk:If you got baby poop on your thumb, it's no big deal you can just wipe it off on your jeans like that.

Dr. Cox: I've seen the Wiggles live in concert. Twice.

Turk: Did they perform Big Red Car?

Dr. Cox: They opened and closed the show with it. It was...awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...