Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Christ in Christmas

I was in Wal-Mart today for the third time this week, doing a mad dash up and down the aisles, counting on my fingers how many gifts the kids will have under the tree and starting to stress about making sure they have enough presents.

Then I stopped dead in my tracks. I've got it all wrong, and I know better.

What have we done to Christmas? This is the time of year where we are to celebrate Christ's birth, coming into this world to save us, and we have turned it into a complete circus.

Jamin and I have been watching several Christmas movies and specials, a tradition around here each year (by the way DONT watch Jingle All The Way...stupid stupid stupid movie with a HORRIBLE meaning to it). We watched the 1930's version of "A Christmas Carol" and it was so wonderful. The kids were excited about spending time with family, about the food and the little things, and going to Church on Christmas morning. Old movies like that are wonderful, I just love them.

Of course all these Christmas specials (except for Charlie Brown Christmas - which I have to give them credit for even saying the word "Jesus" on television since it is so taboo now a days), all these Christmas specials emphasize time with family and being together and yes they leave you with a nice warm and fuzzy feeling, but how many of them actually mention what Christmas is truly about?

We are living in dangerous times. Where we are afraid to call a Christmas tree a Christmas Tree...now it is a "Holiday Tree". You can't wish someone a "Merry Christmas" because it may offend them, you have to say "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays". It makes me sick sick sick. We can install foot washing baths in NYC for the Muslims, but we are not allowed freedom of our religion because Christ may offend someone.

Ok, I'm done ranting.

What I'm saying is maybe this year instead of worrying about our kids (who have everything all ready) let's teach our kids about giving and having the character of Christ. Christ gave us his life, he gave us everything so that we may live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...