Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol - Grand Ole Opry Week

Most of the time I must say I'm disappointed with the country nights on AI, but last years Dolly night was one of my favorites, so I was hopeful for this year, and tonight's wasn't too bad.  There were some surprising ones that stood out, and other ones that are absolutely forgettable.  

Here goes...

Michael Sarver
He sang Garth Brooks Til The Sun Comes Up.  In my opinion it was really karaoke.  I think he did fine on the verses and caught all the lyrics which I give him props for, however the chorus didn't have the "punch" it needed and it didn't showcase his vocals like it should have.  He is not one of the best singers out there, but is likable, however I think after tonight's performance he is in danger.

Allison Iraheta
She sang "Blame it on your heart" by Patty Loveless and did shockingly well.  I thought country night would ruin her.  She is really incredible, especially for her age.  She totally pulled off country night well.  She isn't going anywhere. 

Kris Allen
I said it last week and I'll say it again, I like this kid.  He is definitely the underdog.  I think the girls will keep him around, however he is still pretty much not as talked about as the rest of the crew and I think that may hurt him.  He performed Garth Brooks "To Make You Feel My Love" well enough that I think he deserves to stay.

Lil Rounds
She sang "Independance Day" by Marcia McBride.  One of my favorite country songs of all time.  I love this song.  When I found out she was doing it I cringed.  Lil is too soulful to be doing country and she should have gone with what Randy said and done a "I will always love you" and keep her R&B spin on it.  Her trying to sing country was just awkward and strange.  I hated the performance.  It's possible she is in trouble, but if she was to get the axe she would no doubt get the judges save.

Adam Lambert
Ok, I'm a pretty open person here, and I'm willing to change my opinion but I just DO NOT like this guy.  He absolutely gives me the creeps.  I feel like I need to go wash myself clean after his performance of "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash.  I have to say, the arrangement was interesting and it was NOT terrible.  There is just something though that was (how do I say this politely...) un-pure about his performance (again the fact I get the heebie jeebies after watching this guy).  That is the only way I know how to explain it.  Also, I just do not like his singing.  I just don't see what they do, except maybe the fact that he is marketable.  He isn't going anywhere because millions of hopeless teenage girls (who haven't quite got it figured out yet which side he is batting for) vote for him every week.

Alexis Grace
I love this chick.  She is one of my favorites.  She sang "Jolene" by Dolly Pardon.  Now, I have to say that I enjoyed this more last year sung by Brooke White.  I think Brooke stayed true to how the song should have been arranged.  It's a simple song, and I feel that Alexis voice is MUCH bigger than the song, so it was odd for me.  Something just didn't fit right with it all.  She would have done much better doing a song like "Fancy" by Reba.

Scott MacIntyre
He sang "Wild Angels" by Martina McBride.  It was as dull as last weeks.  I said it last week and I'll say it again, he is NOT the best vocal on there, and right now is skating by on his handicap in my opinion.  He is funny though.  The whole "I'll move the piano closer" comment was a great comeback to Paula's rambling nonsense.  As much as I'd like to see him stay around I do believe his time on Idol is growing short, and he will not be around much longer unless he does something amazing in the next week or so (that is if he makes it past tomorrows judgement).

Danny Gokey
He sang "Jesus Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood.  I LOVE this song.  I was disappointed with the beginning, but once he hit the chorus the song took off.  There is something about it when you can tell that the person's heart is behind the lyrics.  (Maybe it is because I know he is Christian), but there was something powerful behind him specifically singing THAT song.  Here is my issue.  I WANT Danny to win.  He is by far my favorite performer, however if he wins they are going to market him in a certain way, and they will NEVER let him sing Christian music.  If he comes in second or third, he would hopefully get picked up by a Christian label and be singing the kind of music that God created him to sing.  There is my inner battle.  

Anoop Desai
He sang "You Were Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson.  He did a totally different version and it was fantastic.  It showed what he can do vocally for the first time, and I agree with Simon he DOES deserve to stay in this after that performance.  One of the top performances of the evening.  

Megan Joy
Ok, I wouldn't say she is my favorite, but I like her quirky voice.  (Is it just me or did she change her last name?  What is up with that?)  I do like her though and I want to see her stay around for a bit.  Her version of "Walking after Midnight" was ok.  I wasn't jumping up and down about it like the judges were, I liked last weeks performance better, it showed MUCH more personality from her than this one did.  I hope she doesn't go anywhere, but I have a feeling she is a bottom runner.

Matt Giraud
I TOLD my husband that this guy could SING.  I saw the clips of him performing back home at the piano bar, and those clips showed me how good he was.  My issue is he gets on stage and tries to be someone he is NOT (singing Coldplay or trying to be like Justin Timberlake), and it turns out badly for him.  Tonight he finally showcased what he is good at, and picked the right song, singing "So Small" by Carrie Underwood.  He did great.  As long as this dude doesn't try to be a total poser, and picks songs that are suited for him, he will stay on my good side.

Predictions.  I think based on vocal alone bottom three should be Lil, Sarver and MacIntyre, with Sarver going home, but as much as I LOVE the midwest I know they are all mostly rooting for their hometown boy, so I'm 50/50 if he will go or not.    I worry that Alexis is in trouble though she is one of the best in my opinion.  I also think Megan may not have much longer.  I doubt America will vote MacIntyre off yet because we are so afraid as Americans of being politically incorrect and possibly offending someone, and as soon as he gets voted off there is going to be uproar because of the fact he is handicapped.  It's possible Lil could get voted off but as I said before, the judges will use their save on her (don't get me started on the rumors that the judges have "fixed" the competition and the top four will be Lil, Danny, Adam and Alexis that right there is a WHOLE other rant of mine).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...