Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rethinking Running

Lately I've started to rethink my plans on running. If you read this post it will tell you about my journey into the running world.

In fall I took a running hiatus, and even though I finished C25K I never actually RAN a 5K.  I know.  What was the point.  When I started running again I realized I wasn't ready to run a 5K, so rather than jump into the 10K program I did the "Ease Into 10K plan."

The first few weeks went really well.  Even now It's going ok, but there is a problem.  The workout is LONG.  Like almost an hour run long, and that's fine if that is my ONLY workout of the day, but then I ended up giving up my Zumba classes (which even though they make me crave Mexican food, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Zumba.  It's SO fun).

So I came up with this CRAZY workout schedule.  It failed.  Miserably. 

As awesome as P90X is.  I CANT workout at home.  Two little ones under my feet just isn't working.  Also I get too distracted.  I need the gym and I NEED their daycare.  I wanted to do it ALL, but at this time in my life raising small ones I just can't.

I also CAN'T give up running.  The difference that it's made in my body is unbelievable.  I never want to stop running and I always want to incorporate it into my workout regimen. 

The long runs are draining me.  Don't get me wrong, I plan to finish the 10K program and run a 10K.  I want to be able to say I did it.  But I'm thinking that I don't want all my running to be for endurance.

My husband and I started discussing sprinting.

Then I saw images like these:

img from HealthierLiving.com

And these:

img from HybridFitnessSolutions.com

Also, the more I started to read and research, the more it started to make sense.  PLEASE don't think I'm hating on marathon runners.  There is definitely something to be said for endurance.  As much as running has helped me shed the pounds that I wanted, I'm just not seeing the muscle definition there that I want, and SOMETHING has to change in my schedule.

I ran across this today and I LOVE it.  (Three Simple Sprint Workouts).

So I'm thinking now of somehow incorporating sprinting into my schedule, keep up with my strength training in my boot camp class, and bring BACK Zumba, because nothing is more fun than dancing to Latin music, even if it does make me want to eat tacos. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...